Sunday, June 8, 2008

A week that has turned into a complete disaster

Wow, what a week it has been!
Monday was spent watching children all day.
Tuesday was spent under a tornado watch.
Wednesday woke up to the tornado sirens going off, knew there was no place to go, so I opted to go back to sleep.
Wednesday night was spent in the dorm with Christy, but once again under a tornado warning.
Thursday was spent watching children again, and a night full of fun at riverfront playing volleyball.
Friday was spent once again watching kids, and then rushing home and to work on time. Ended up being late, got my normal party section at work. Was excited about making some money, but it was extremely slow and storming out.

Today, Saturday, ended the week in a disaster. Yesterday the county of Bartholomew got around 10-15in of rain at one time. This being added to the several of inches it received during the week, and two tornadoes that touched down. All of this was just a disaster waiting in itself but it got only worse. On my way to work today the main highway, and the road I live on was flooded in some areas.

While at work customers were talking about how bad it was out. I-65 was shut down heading northbound as well as HWY 31, the only two roads around here that head north. At this point this is bad but not as bad as what is to come. Just a few miles north a dam broke, and people in Edinburgh had to be evacuated, later on one bridge in Columbus collapsed and the local hospital was being flooded. Evacuation was happening all around the area. My parents own a house on one of the roads that the bridge collapsed. The renter called and said that the appliance inside are floating around, and that it is basically flooded. The shed is floating down 10th St. somewhere. Unfortunately, my parents do not have flood insurance on the house, considering we live in an area that never floods. Yes disaster has hit Columbus, Indiana.


When I left work tonight all major roads where shut down. State troopers were at the stop light stopping everyone and asking where they were heading. A trooper stop at work and told the manager that the best bet for our employees was to camp out at the restaurant for the night. Many were asking if the restaurant was going to put them in hotels, unfortunately everything is completely booked. Thankfully, I live close to work and my road was open!

As of now, I'm currently stuck at home. All roads heading to Cincinnati are closed, more rain is on the way, and I need to get back...somehow.
If you would remember the people in the surrounding area in your prayers. There is much that our little town will be going through in the next few days, and even weeks.

4 comments:

Leanna said...

Hey girl I cannot believe the destruction you guys are having. We were in Martinsville,IN for Zach and Kristen's wedding and got to see some of the devastation first hand. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted on what happens.

Sam said...

You guys are in my prayers

Alanna said...

wow -- I'm so sorry about all the flooding! I guess in Iowa it's pretty bad too! I'll be praying!

Sarah said...

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your prayers very much