Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Adventure of Change

Wow, it has been a long week. I have been home now for a whole week and its been very busy. I'm thankful that I have a job that I can come home to whenever I need it. The managers love when I'm on breaks, or home for the weekends, because like all places they need the extra help. About a year ago when I left for college we got a new GM, which I wasn't happy about, but now I'm thankful for him. He is a very educated man and knows from years spent in college that it isn't very cheap. Over Christmas break he called me and asked me if I could come in and serve? I couldn't believe it. I have worked there since the restaurant opened and have only worked as a cook, and expo, and a hostess, but never as a server. Anyways, I took him up on the offer and went in to work kinda scared. Yes, I have served before but you have to take into consideration that Steak-n-Shake and Montana Mike's Steakhouse is worlds apart. We have close to 100 things at least on the menu and trying to manage 3 to 6 tables at a time can be tricky.
Here are just a few of the steps that EACH table requires: "Hi, how are you doing today? I'm Sarah, and will be taking care of you today. May I start you out with something to drink? Are we going to have any of our delicious appetizers today? How about Chili Cheese Fries, or our home breaded Onion Rings. Today we are featuring our_______ fill in the blank." (side note: This is required, and for the most part I get the first part in, but after the drink thing I usually stop talking. The whole speech only happens when there is a manager standing in listening range.) After all of this and finally taking the orders, putting the order in the computer, and trying to remember what each person has to drink, or making sure you get the salads out before the meal, can be at times a little crazy. Anyways, I do love my job, and back to my GM. I went into work when I got home to work out my schedule, and Mike told me that he was only going to let me serve, since it pays more money. I have made money over this break, and I believe its going to be enough to not have to take the second distribution of my student loan. I'm thankful that although they desperately need the help on the line that he has spared me the 400 degrees Kitchen and given me the 65 degree dinning room. So, all of this just to say that I'm glad God know what are needs are and that He is already has something planned out for us to meet those needs.
Although my break was spent working, I've enjoyed it but more than that I've enjoyed a week at home. I head back to Cincinnati after lunch on Sunday and then its off to classes on Tuesday. Speaking of classes I need to get some homework finished so I'm getting up in the morning and heading off to the library to spend my day before I trot off to work. I decided that if I stay at home I won't get as much accomplished as I NEED to get done.
Well, I believe thats all for tonight and I can't believe I've written this much.
Good-night!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

I agree with the hmwk thing. Even though I take it with me and have every good intention of completing it....I usually don't. I have read a few chapters though.

Glad you are having a good break. Enjoy the last few days! ttfn

Scott & Lynnette said...

Pleeeeease post something new - preferably with pics! I need new reading material. Thanks!